My Photo
Name:
Location: Stephens City, Virginia, United States

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Scrapbooks and Samplers

I have a new obsession. Anyone that knows me knows that my obsessions run the gamut of the crafting spectrum! And now it's journaling/scrapbooking. I took a fabulous class from Barb and Alma (Blackbird Designs) at Liberty Gathering in June and after years of avoiding paper and stickers and inks and stamps I got sucked right in! Then while in Charlotte for the Charlotte Needlework Market, I visited two super fantastic scrapbooking stores and handed over a big chunk of change. LOL, change! Dollars...lots and lots of them. But I got to thinking about what we do, we stitchers. We love fibers and color and just handling our charts. And then after spending time and money and thougt on picking just the right pieces, we put it all together to make a precious heirloom. It's our form of scrapbooking. Don't we each know what was happening in our lives while we stitched our piece? And what about our baby samplers, memorial samplers and even our little fun stitches. We put our names, the date and initials of our loved ones on the fabric to be framed to last we hope for generations. Do we remember to write these things down? Even if it's a scrap of paper adhered to the back of our stitching. That way when our great granddaughter is thrilled to be handed Great Grandmother Tracy's sampler, she will feel even closer to the past when she discovers that I was mourning the loss of my family member, celebrating a wedding or just agonizing over my life at the moment. Think about it and let me know how you save your memories for the future!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home